- Deadlift:The feet are placed directly below the hips.
- Clean:The feet are below the hips, but sometimes are slightly wider as the lifter will be torquing the inner thighs.
- Deadlift:In the deadlift setup, the lifter must find the position where there is the most tension on the hamstrings. The bar is right against the shins, and the shins are perpendicular to the ground.
- Clean: There is tension in the hamstrings, but also in the abductor muscles. The hips might be slightly lower than in the deadlift. The bar is slightly in front of the legs. The shins are slightly angled forward toward the bar.
- Deadlift:The shoulders are behind the plane of the bar. It is almost as if the lifter is falling backward as he or she grabs the bar.
- Clean:The shoulders are in front of the plane of the bar