Free Trial Thursday
We will be on the Bench again picking up where we left off last week. This week, the rep scheme will go as follows...
- Quick off bench warm-up
- On bench warm-up: 15 reps (barbell) 10 reps (light weight) 5 reps (little more)
- Heavy Single X 3 rounds **This should be about 92-97% of your 1RM
- Then... 3 X 5 (3 sets of 5 reps) @ 82..5% of your 1RMKeep Your Upper Back Tight/Shoulders Down and BackOften we see people flopped onto the bench, back loose, shoulder blades on either side of the bench, and shoulders rotating forward every time they push the barbell back up.If you continue benching like this (i.e. like most people) you will never come close to your true potential and you will almost certainly end up with an injury.Fix it:Sitting in your chair right now I want you to put your arms out in front of you as though you were about to bench press. Now, with your arms straight and your chest tall I want you to shove your shouldersdown and awayfrom your ears. Once youve done that try squeezing your upper back together as tight as possible.Feel that? Thats exactly what your back should feel like throughout the entire movement. By keeping your back tight and your shoulders down and away from your ears you will:
- Limit shoulder rotation, thus keeping your shoulders in a safer position
- Create a larger and more stable platform on the bench, consequently reducing the total ROM
- Bench more weight. Yayyyyy!
- Lesson: Keep your shoulders down and away from your ears while keeping your upper back as tight as possiblewww.syattfitness.com